I’m sure you have heard the saying “It is better to give than receive.” I would like to add “It is better to give (cheerfully) than receive.” This morning we read 2 Cor. 9: 7-8 that says “Each person should do as he has decided in his heart – not reluctantly or out of compulsion, since God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make every grace overflow to you, so that in every way, always having everything you need, you may excel in every good work.” We have each been blessed with God given time, talents and resources. What we do with those gifts is up to each of us individually. When we decide to be a cheerful giver, overflowing grace, being content with what you have and excelling in every good work is bound to follow. Here are 10 great reasons it’s better to give than to receive.
1. Giving is how God demonstrates his love for us.
2. Giving makes you happy.
3. Giving communicates something important about our worldview.
4. Giving is the way God blesses others.
5. Giving helps us live longer.
6. Giving joyfully makes God happy.
7. Giving increases our social connectedness.
8. Giving is an act of obedience.
9. Giving is contagious.
10. Giving gives your life meaning.
“Positive thinking is how you think about a problem. Enthusiasm is how you feel about a problem. And the two together determine what you do about a problem.”(Norman Vincent Peale: Enthusiasm Makes the Difference)
“Let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus” (Hebrews 12:1-2).
This song does a fantastic job reminding us no one can quite love us like God. He is more than capable of carrying us through and calming our weary soul.